a closer shot

Monday, October 1, 2007

the truth goes like this

Sometimes I don't realize how wide my audience might be because no one ever comments on my blog. (hint...) Anyway, it is that time again for my now weekly update. I can't promise I will always be this dedicated.

Lately I have been reminded too often, I think, of reasons why this was a crazy and perhaps too drastic a move, for me to pick up and fly to Alaska, move my life. I realize that I also had reservations about the change before I came. Of course I did. I only mailed up six boxes - although that had just as much to do with my lack of funds as it did with, I just didn't know what to bring. I still live fairly small-ly. But I am okay with it. I enjoy myself here, and as much as I may complain (it's not too often, is it?), I really am happy here, and I am happy with my decision to move here. And it was my decision to come, and it will be my decision to stay, or to leave, or whatever. There is not much I can say that will convince everyone that wants to help me or give me advice that staying here is the right thing for me to do. I know people think it's crazy; I know that for those of you who do not live here, or have never been here, there is probably little I can say to explain myself. It just is what it is. Alaska is where I live.

Maybe I am just feeling grumpy and discouraged, lack of rest, perhaps, and maybe you don't want to read this. That's okay.

This past week and weekend was okay - it went by really slowly. I played basketball with the city (city?) league women, and that was basically a blast. I met a lot of people here, so that was excellent. There were a few nice days last week, the sun was out, it was warm-ish. Berry picking was in the works, but the rain quickly shot that idea in the face. Saturday was a little lazy. I played some musica with Sierra and Janelle - it is actually going pretty well, although I am getting a little bored with the same music. We need to get some more... but Janelle thinks we're going to rock the talent show, which will be sweet. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I am. I mean, I love to play the violin, but I didn't know it would get this big and be so neat.

Also on Saturday I volunteered at a carnival fundraiser thing for the volleyball team. Basically I sat underneath a basketball net rigged so that when they made a basket a water balloon popped over my head.



I was totally soaked, and sad, and disgusting looking. But it was worth it. Some other people went before me, and they were equally wet. When I got up, a lot of the kids were just like, "Yesssss!" And I was like, "Craaaaaap..." So the video is taken by one of my students who felt the need to document the joy of the cheating kids who didn't want to pay a dollar to get me wet.




On Saturday evening Janelle had a Pampered Chef party. It was a little last minute because she had just gotten the stuff in on Thursday. I didn't buy anything yet, but perhaps once Christmas starts getting closer, once I am more financially balanced, etc. I ate a lot of food... whatever weight I've lost since moving here I am sure I gained back all this weekend. And then we watched one of my favorite movies: "Stranger Than Fiction." I highly recommend it.

Today is Jake's birthday, so yesterday we had a sort of party, although Jake was watching a football game the whole time, so I guess he had a good time... The cake was fantastic - homemade carrot cake. There were actually quite a few people there, which was fun. Daniel was a total goof - made me smile. :)



I had brought a cantelope that I bought from the AC - it looked pretty good, and fortunately tasted fantastic, so I was sharing with Daniel. He was way into it. It also made a great hat.

We made calzones and pretty much just sat around doing a whole lot of nothing - chatting and cleaning and cooking and eating... eating a LOT. I was basically full for the rest of the day after lunch, chowing on chip and dip, cake, pizza toppings, icing, whatever. I didn't actually get a whole lot of pictures, at least not blog interesting ones.



The refridgerator magnet toys were a pretty big hit. I really do have a life...

I spent the rest of the day napping, on the phone, then back to school to work. By the end of the evening I felt a strange bitterness towards grammar in general. I opened up my book to plan for a lesson, and my first thought was something like, "I hate you, participles." So I went home at a decent hour, you know, a little after 10.

7 comments:

John Wooton said...

I'll post a comment.... um. I don't know what to comment. Ummm... Hi, I guess. I still follow your blog. I have the blog feed in my feed reader so I know when you have a new post. (I guess you can say I'm a regular).

Fall has been slow to gain momentum here. The leaves aren't changing. Boo. I love Autumn and I am just not in the mood. I am glad to see that you are happy living in Alaska, though!!

John Wooton said...

I forgot to sign off...

-john wooton

Sara Britt said...

ok so im reading your blogs, dont worry and i like them. i also like that youre some time of woodsmen pioneer digging for berries...so how is it being a real-life teacher?

Melissa said...

Can you believe it's me? I think I've got this thing figured out - I think. Anyways....I love reading your blogs. I miss you... a lot. It sounds like you are doing fantastic!

AliveNsurvivn said...

Glad your days in Alaska are picking up and that you got friends. How's the dog. I always pictured with a dog, but a smaller one. Post a picture of Star sometime. I wish I had more time to read your recent posts, but I don't. Will come on this place later. Ok, Have a blessed day. :)

AliveNsurvivn said...

lol, last time I was on here I mispelled my name. It's AnastaSiya...

Jake and Janelle Snyder said...

Your blog makes me smile... and I don't think you're crazy for moving here. Um... that would mean I'm crazy. Well, okay, I am a little bit... but it's the good kind of crazy, right?
Like right now, I am typing this to you in our truck, outside the school, my fingers freezing so much that I have to keep deleting and re-typing because I keep on hitting the wrong key from lack of blood flow. That's normal (for UNK) anyway.
So... you being here helps our lives be a little less-and more-weird, fyi. I love the pict of DJ! Thank you for helping document the important moments of my life. I always forget to.
Janelle