a closer shot

Sunday, October 28, 2007

quite a week!

So this week was teacher inservice week. That means that all the teachers from the entire district were here in Unalakleet for teacher inservicy fun. :) Four-hundred extra bodies in a little town made for a good time. They slept in our classrooms, which meant the UNK staff used the computer lab for our work room. We definitely made ourselves at home! Adrianna, Janelle, and I, plus Dean (who just made us laugh) took over the table in the back.



Adrianna and I were very excited to have Katie from Elim back in town. We're the three youngest, so we do young people things, and girlish things. She's super cool, that Katie. :)

With so many people here, there was something to do every night! Monday was the Pampered Chef party at the Snyder house. Jake and Janelle made amazing food!!! We pretty much just gathered around the table and ate. And we played with Daniel. But I forgot my camera that night. :( It's really very sad.

Tuesday night was the Stamp It Up party at Deb's house, although it was given by Carrie, who made all the yummy food!



I felt bad going because I knew I wasn't going to buy anything. Actually, I really wanted to get some beads, but sadly, there were none in the catalog. So I just made a Christmas card and ate chocolate truffles, a secret recipe by Carrie, of course!



The other veteran card stampers made much prettier cards, and none of them spilled tiny little "brads" (those button things that are on the right side of my card) all over the table. It's okay. I'll come into my own one of these days.



Wednesday night was the Body Shop party. I really wasn't going to go to this one, but they talked me into it because Deb wanted people to come, and it was good for me to be around people anyway. I was very sad because I had soooo much work to do! But everyone is great here, and good company always makes me feel better. :) And then I spent the evening hanging out with Adrianna, Dan, and Katie, who stayed at A & D's apartment.

Thursday was a work night, but somehow Adrianna and I ended back up at Deb's with her and Carrie having a toggle* party, though I don't think much toggling got done. (*toggle, tah-gull - to record student progress on a crazy acronymed system called DART)

Friday was NUTS, I tell you what. I tried to get work done in the morning, but by the time the afternoon came around, I was running around like a mad woman! I had to get whipping cream to make whipped cream because the store ran out, and unfortunately, when the store runs out of something (like toilet paper), so does the village. Anyway, I ran over to Janelle's, into her house, and hollered pathetically, "Janelle, I need you!!" So she let me use her mixer, her bowls, and a giant spoon, so that I could make whipped cream for...

Holloween Carnival!! The high school juniors were working on the haunted house (which took over the high school wing) all day long. I spent the evening being disgusting because I was the first face to get pie thrown in my face. We made a lot of money. My hair was nasty. It was great. Mark paid Adrianna a dollar to pie me right in the face. The cheater didn't even throw it. She just walked up in her little Statue of Liberty costume like she owned the place and slammed a plate full of whipped cream in my face.



And she will hate this picture. :) (I'll post as soon as I get pictures from the carnival.)

Even more importantly, however, Friday October 26th was a special day because it was CARRIE'S 30TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!



And so we decked out in costume. I was a lamp. Carrie was a devil clown? Whatever. The AC didn't have any Smarties, so with the time she had left, options were limited.



We still had a great time. You can't tell because we are such great actresses, but this serious face picture was very VERY hard work. How many times did we try this??





There are lots of other great people, such as Deb (1st picture), Hannah (2nd picture), and Jasmine with her new baby, Carter. (so cute!!) I realize that it's a little rediculous, but it was a costume event, although I don't think Hannah meant to look like a Mexican senor. I pretty much think Carter was the cutest one to come through the door.



A & D looked perfect (of course). A was the Statue of Liberty, and Dan was, well, Dan. He also is great with kids, so that was just a cute shot.

Overall, it was a splendid week. I spent the last 24 hours working, however. I had to plan for the week for my sub (Dan) because I am going to Anchorage on the senior trip this week. :) Actually, we will be driving all over... I'll give you the scoop when I get back. Don't worry, I'm taking my camera. ;) It should be a good time. Carrie and I have been working like mad, stressing, being sad, procrastinating, but it'll all be worth it! Of course, the work is never done... but let's not talk about that. I'm leaving for the airport in 25 minutes. Woot. :)



Of course I'll miss my pup very much. Thanks to A & D for taking care of her this week!

3 comments:

John Wooton said...

SO IT IS TRUE.... Teachers do sleep in their classrooms... and my parents thought I was crazy for suggesting it. LOL.

I am happy you're having fun up there!

Carrie said...

Wahoo!! One hell of a week, and it isn't done yet. I can't wait to see how the senior trip turns out . . . though tired, I'm so excited. Glad you are here too.

Rosetta Hayes said...

Hello! great to hear from you. Sorry I don't do a good job updating my blog, I need to get better at that.

I'm not in Romania yet. I hope to be there by the end of January. I don't know, it's all a bit overwhelming! I'm trying to figure out what to do with my apartment since it's a possibility I won't be leaving in January. Well no need to bore you with all that! How is Alaska? Is it really dark most days? Or, is that an understatement? I can't imagine it looking like night during the day. I just can't wrap my mind around it! What do you like most about Alaska? What do you like least? Are the people nice? I think Alaska is so pretty! I would love to visit there someday!

I know I have your email written down some where but just in case I can't find it can you give it to me again? Well I will talk to you later, have a great day!

Rosetta