a closer shot

Friday, October 5, 2007

*insert line from a song about snow*

Well, it finally happened. Unalakleet got its first snow. I have been seeing the peaks south of here cover up with snow during the past couple of weeks. Yesterday the wind made the snow move sideways. I still took the dog on a walk, but the wind was somewhat biting. It wasn't all that cold; the wind just made it feel that way. At least it is warm enough to snow. I couldn't see how snowy the mountains were because the fog was too thick. There isn't a whole lot of snow on the ground, but enough for you to know that winter is on its way. I remember my first year in Houghton - the first snow came on October 1st, and we got about a foot of it. There were still a few nice days after that, but I'm not convinced that winter hasn't officially begun here in Alaska. Although I have been doing what I can to force my body to acclimate to the new colder weather, I'm sure that there is nothing I can do to prepare me for what is coming... I've never seen the ground dry up as fast as it did yesterday.

I don't have any pictures of the snow - there honestly isn't much to take a picture of. But I did get some paintings that my brother did. He's pretty fantastic, so I'll give you a teaser of some of his work. It will be displayed in an art show in London (right, K?). Pretty much, I have the coolest brother in the world.


Untitled
Karl Koett, MFA

Look at it from far away, look at it close up, click on it to make it bigger, appreciate the workmanship... I could go on.

2 comments:

John Wooton said...

You know there was one Christmas a few years ago that we were supposed to have snow and it kept snowing south of Indy only. I looked at Erin and said... "Gee, I hope we get some snow north of Indy!"

That was a big mistake. Nine inches later...

jw

Unknown said...

I don't usually leave my comments on the blog because the last time I did that you never read them. Anyway, I enjoy your updates and the pictures are wonderful. Sounds like you have met a lot of very nice friends and your off-work-times are filled with activity. My mouth is watering for some of those berries you keep talking about. Enjoy.
Aunt Phyllis