a closer shot

Sunday, September 23, 2007

these are the days of september

It has rained almost every day of this month. The few days when the sun was out, you can be sure that I was out with it. There were times, though, that the sun was out and it was still raining, which made for interesting walks.

Mostly this week I have been all about work. I have been at school late almost every day. One evening I was there until 11:45 in the p.m. - crazy, I know. Sometimes I am not alone, though. Carrie, the math teacher and right next door to me, is sometimes there, as well. It's a good time, I tell you what.

I'd like to tell you about all the fun things I did this week. I'd like to tell you a grand story about my life here. I wish I had a grand story to tell you. I've really just been working a whole lot. The weekends are really when my life happens, unless for some off chance reason we decide to do something cool during the week. Yeah right. Anyway, Friday was pretty fabulous. It was gorgeous outside. I was wearing a t-shirt, the sun was out, it was nice and warm (ish). Jake had gone to Nome for business during the day, so we made orders for Chinese food and he brought it back for us. I totally gorged myself. It was great.



Before we ate I went for a walk on the beach, just because I couldn't stand being inside for any length of time. If you were in this weather, you wouldn't want to be inside either. That little black dot with the tail there is my dog.

We ate inside so we could heat up the food. Afterwards, we hung out on the beach for a bit strumming some tunes, chatting, being cool. Normal stuff.



It was such a beautiful evening. This time when Janelle got my camera she got some really good shots of the beach. This is my favorite place to go. The only down side: Starr likes to roll in beachy things, so by the time she gets home she smells like dead fish. It's pretty neat.



Afterwards we all dispersed, and I decided to go for yet another walk. This time I went into the tundra. I hadn't gone out that-a-ways in a while. The last time I had gone there the puppies wouldn't stop following me... so I took a break. This time, no puppies. And it was pretty spectacular, visually aesthetic if you will.



This is at the bridge over the slough (pronounced sloo) facing downstream towards the village. Over the bridge and through the road construction, towards first hill, and there it is, probably the 17th rainbow I've seen here. They never get old. Once I saw an entire arched rainbow - it was awesome.



Saturday was kind of lazy. I didn't really feel like doing anything. I took a few walks, of course, up the beach, down the beach, around town. I went in to work for about an hour to get some things done, but I didn't feel like working. I played violin with Sierra, which actually went really well. I went over to Patty's to invade for a little while, which made me sleepy. Her house is so dang relaxing. Saturday evening Janelle was having a book club meeting for those people who want to read and discuss a book, for those people who at least think they have time to read a book. I like to pretend that I do. I would like to. Anyway, Janelle was cute because she didn't expect me to come, so I got a grand welcome. And then I ate a lot of snacks. I also watched March of the Penguins on Saturday - I don't so much need to see it again. Good, but holy crow, long.



Lots of pictures to share tonight. This is okay, though. There's not much people photos up this time. Oh well. This is the beach facing south, looking at the mountains.

On Sunday, well, this evening, I went berry picking. Last night it frosted a bit. This morning I took the dog out for a walk and it was 32 degrees out. That's the coldest it's been in the mornings. Anyway, the sun was out all day, no clouds, so although it was still cold, it was a perfect day to go out for berries. The low bush cranberries are ready just after the first frost. We had to dig a little to find the patches, which made our hands cold, of course, but it was worth it. We weren't out for long, but I got some pretty good berries.



This is the sunset over the Norton Sound. I was glad to finally get some good pictures. It's pretty unbelievable, pretty much everything I see and learn about being here. Sometimes I forget that I am not just here on some camp-like stay. I live here now, and I need to start thinking like I live here, like I am building a life here, because I am.

Remember that you can click on any of the pictures if you want to see it bigger than it is on here. Remember, also, to post comments. I like them.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

It's okay Karis, I know you don't have much of a home life. . . after all I don't either. Never fails to have someone point it out though. . . feels like a slap in the face. Whatever. right?!?!

Karis said...

No doubt! At least I'm not the only lame one in the school, because it's totally us who are lame... whatever. ANYway, glad to know we're clumped as the late-stayers...

Jake and Janelle Snyder said...

so... i'm leaving comment, because you've been spiffy enough to read and post on our blog.

I really LOVE your pictures, FYI... especially the rainbow one. (And the one of you playing guitar... what a great photographer you have).

You know that if it wasn't for DJ, Jake would still never see me, and I'd be at the school 24/7 w/ you and Carrie. I always feel behind now... and i wonder how much my lack of hours is affecting the kids--I know it is affecting my lesson planning, and feeling of readiness that I used to have. So, in some kind of demented way, I'm jealous of you both. Anywz... yeah, that's a topic for my blog, not yours.

And BTW, neither one of you are the slightest bit lame. Carrie is amazing, and I am SO glad that you are here!!! 1. I get to work with you, 2. I get to spend lots of my "real life" time with you, and 3. you keep me sane and smilin' EVERY day.

So... Woo-hoo to rainbows! Catch ya l8r!

Melissa said...

Hey Karis!! Miss you bunches. I really enjoy reading about your life.
All is going great here ~ c52 is going strong - God just continues to amaze me.

The puppies have new homes and will be leaving Saturday - I'm sad. We are keeping one - his name is "Archie". He's adorable!

If you want, I can send sermon cds to you - just let me know. Stay in touch.