a closer shot

Monday, September 10, 2007

maybe i shouldn't get a four-wheeler...

Do you ever daydream about bears in the tundra? Yeah, me neither...

But about those four-wheelers: Let's use our imaginations since I didn't document the situations with photographs. They would have been worth the film.


Adrianna and I on another boat ride.

We went berry picking on Friday. Uneventful boat ride, as shown above and below. We saw bear tracks. We made, oh wait no, Janelle and Adrianna made cranberry pumpkin bread with our berries, and it was fabulous. All I did on Friday was mope and eat bread and play Wii. And I walked my dog. Oh but I covered this.


Janelle and Daniel - he just loves his life jacket... I think Adrianna and I were taking a picture of them at the same time, so Janelle didn't know who to look at.

Saturday - crap, what did I do? Sierra and I played violin at Janelle's, who was playing her basoon, starting up the quartet, although we are still missing our viola. We went berry picking again on Saturday evening. Patty told me to come by, so I took them some of the good bread I did not bake, and they gave me a loaf of homemade cheese bread and a half a loaf of potato bread and a jar of blueberry jam. I told her I wasn't going to come over anymore if she was just going to keep giving me stuff.

(Side Story: One time at camp, I looked up at the menu for breakfast, and it said, "Homade Pancakes." I pointed and laughed out loud, and it became a joke, though I felt a little bad for the person who wrote it. True story.)

Anyway, I told Mark and Patty that we were going berry picking after dinner, so they decided to join us. Ended up that Jake and Dan kept Daniel and just played Wii while we faced the bugs and the bears and the berries in the tundra. Jake and Janelle have two four-wheelers: the good one, that's the yellow one, and the old old one, that's Big Red. Big Red has no brakes; he's a little stitched up, so he looks like Frankenstein's monster; he tends to be a little unreliable. Janelle didn't want to drive it. Being the dumb one of the group, I gladly, bravely volunteered. No big deal, I'm a good driver, whatev.

Blah blah blah, we picked berries for a bit, but the bugs were redonkerous, so we went to go somewhere else. Unplanned as we were, we were stopped somewhere for whatever reason, went to drive off again, and Big Red wouldn't start. Of course he wouldn't start - I had been driving. In the end, there's me on Big Red steering, being towed all the way back from somewhere off in the tundra by Patty and Mark's super cool rig, all the way through town as people ogled at the stupid new white girl on the broken four-wheeler. It was fun waving at my students.

Hmm, that was Saturday. Sunday I worked all day. Monday I went to the post office. That's today. Jake and Janelle gave me a ride. For whatever reason I did not give myself very much room on the back of that four-wheeler, because in the end when Jake was approaching the post office, he made the turn, and I fell off. You might think I make this stuff up, but I don't. I slid off and kind of rolled, feet flying through the air over my head, I'm covered in dirt, I roll back onto my feet (it was really very graceful), and I jumped back onto the four-wheeler, much closer to the middle this time.



This is a big boat.

I have a parka, snow pants, snow boots, and ski goggles on their way to me now, plus some long johns. My parka has fur around the hood. :) My boots are neat. They have fur, too.



They both also float independently. It's very cool.

No comments: