a closer shot

Sunday, August 12, 2007

fishing, etc.

It certainly has been a crazy week. But I have a few pictures this time to show you what I mean. I've been trying to get pictures - I know I've been really bad about it because I don't want to seem so touristy, you know, like who is that white chick taking pictures all the time? But I have a few that I've taken with the people I've been spending so much time with. They are pretty much great people, and I love them.

Thursday I went fishing - Jake took Adrianna (a fellow new teacher), Dan (her boyfriend), and me out on the boat. It's a pretty fantastic view, if I do say so myself. I love going out on the boat. I caught a couple silvers and grayling (which I kept, because freakin I caught it and freakin I want to keep it), Jake caught 2, and oh yeah, Jake's friend Sie (sp?) caught 4, which is the daily limit on silver salmon, the big catch here. They gave the 3 of us new kids all the fish, so I went home with 4 more, which is great. It was a lot of fun to hang out anyway.



This is Adrianna on our way up river. It was such a beautiful day, nice and warm and sunny, but it gets chilly on the boat, so that's why we are all bundled a bit. Plus, we're both from the midwest, so I think we get colder easy...



This is a view of the mountains that are south of the village. The picture doesn't really do the view any justice. It's really beautiful, especially when you're up on the hills that are north and east of the village, but sadly, I have no pictures from that.

Anyway, it was a good time. On the way back Jake let me drive the boat. It was so cool! I have a picture of me driving, but for some reason I am having a bit of trouble downloading all of my images from my camera to my computer. Oh well, it's just me in a driver's seat of a boat, driving.

Well, like I said, this week has been crazy. We've had new teacher orientation every day, and every evening I seem to be doing something. Monday I don't remember what I did, Tuesday was something that I don't remember - probably just hanging out with other new teachers, or something. There's always something to do with someone, like every time I walk out of my apartment. Anyway, Wednesday was berry picking, Thursday was fishing, and that brings me to Friday. I don't have any pictures from Friday, but it was a good time. At least, I enjoyed myself.

Jake and Janelle Snyder are pretty much on my list of favorite people now. Janelle is the music teacher at the school, though she also teaches a bit of high school English (and has been), so her and I will be working together, which is great, because I really like her a lot. Her husband Jake works in the district office in the technology department, or something like that. And then they have a son, Daniel, who is a year and a half, and he is so dang cute. Anyway, Friday they wanted to take the boat out to fish again with me, because they are just great people. When I went over to their house they were still working on getting their flooring done, which was taking a while because Janelle was doing it alone with Daniel around during the day while Jake was at work, blah blah blah. Anyway, so I helped them finish the kitchen and most of the hallway, so Janelle felt much better about leaving, which was a good thing. I really wanted her to go with us. So we went out on the boat, and we chatted, and we laughed, and we fished, and they each caught a fish, and I got nothin'. I was like, Jake, where are all the dang fish? And he was like, they're in here! And I was like, quit lyin' to me. Oh well, two more fish is still good - since they let me keep all the fish they get. It's all a part of this community living thing. I totally love it. We got back to their house and Janelle was like, I want to start flooring the living room. But then she sat down, and then I sat down, and then we started talking, and I think we talked for like, and hour or more while Jake did pretty much everything. We were kind of tired. I had already taken a nap that day - the week had exhausted me. But it was really nice - I like talking with her, and we seem to get along really well. She makes me smile.

Saturday (well, today) was an awesome day. Jake and Janelle wanted to go on a picnic at "the bridge." So around 11:30ish they came and got me, Adrianna, Dan, and Shelley, another teacher, we took 3 four-wheelers out to this bridge over North River that's like, probably 5 miles out, maybe 6, over and through the hills. We built a fire (well, the guys did, and they totally used lighter fluid, which is totally cheating), cooked hot dogs, Shelley brought homemade chocolate chip banana bread which was amazing, we snacked, we fished, we chatted, and it was great.



This was our site at the river where we picniced. There were about a million dead fish right next to the river - the humpies, or mucklucks, or whatever you call them, who had spawned and then died. It was so disgusting. But this is nature, the good, the bad, and the ugly. It was weird, we're like, watching for bears... hahaha. This is totally the life.

We didn't catch anything today, which was kind of a bummer, but I'm not totally upset. I had a really good time. Janelle taught me and Adrianna how to drive a four-wheeler. Adrianna drove there, I drove back. It was SO cool. I mean, I have a lot to learn, obviously, but we totally loved it, it was ridiculous. Janelle was sitting behind me teaching me while I'm driving, and she's like, oh I think I'm getting motion sickness. haha. I'm like, let me know if you need to vomit. I lurched a lot, so I'll have to get better with that. She was probably thinking, why am I doing this? But I had a good time, so I don't care. :)

Well, I'd like to upload more photos, but there seems to be an issue, probably with the internet.

Anyway, when we got back home, while we were thanking them for the picninc, Jake and Janelle mentioned that they were going to spend the afternoon flooring. They are putting down hardwood floor all over their house, which isn't bad, just time consuming, unless you have many hands. So we were like, we could totally help you with that. Janelle was so cute, her face was like, really?? So I hung out in Adrianna's apartment for a couple hours, played with their Wii, got wireless hooked up for the both of us, dreamed about getting a four-wheeler to share between us, played online, and then walked in the rain down to the Snyder's. They ordered us pizza for dinner, which was so cool of them. And then we spent like, three and a half hours getting their living room and Daniel's bedroom floored. But we finished, and it was so cool. We were all very exhausted, and now I've stayed up late to blog just for you.

It was really nice to spend a day with friends and have fun, so I am in a happy place. I apologize that there aren't a whole lot of pictures up - my computer is being funny. I'll try again later. I hope to hear from you all soon!



This is the community outhouse. Don't worry, they'll have something to cover the door and window during the winter.

Just joking. :) Little cabin in the woods down by the river. I have my own toilet.

1 comment:

DP said...

sounds wonderful!