a closer shot

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Winter Vaca

Merry belated Christmas!

I've been reminded that it has been a while since I've blogged, though not as long as some... So anyway, I'm starting the trend. We should all blog about our winter vacations. :)

Yes, yes, I know, it's the life of a teacher. It is our destiny to live forever on a semester schedule. We get two whole weeks off for Christmas. (I won't mention the 80-hour weeks during the regular school week.) My first week I went all the way to Indianapolis to visit with my family for the big holiday. I was fortunate that I flew through Phoenix, since Seattle was completely shut down, and very many BSSD folk were delayed in Anchorage for quite a while before they could head out.

Before leaving Anchorage for the first time, however, a fellow teacher in the district had a music show in town. Several teachers showed up at Snowgoose downtown to show our support for his sweet sound. It was definitely lots of fun!

Willis Fireball is my new favorite artist. I've been enjoying listening to these tunes, and I'm anxious for his next album!



There were also, of course, the series of photographs with me and my BSSD buddies!







Lots of bonding time, and absolutely, definitely worth all of it!

On to Indy... for Christmas!

Every year they make a giant Christmas tree out of the circle monument in downtown Indianapolis. It's sort of tradition to go down and see it, particularly on the way to Christmas at the Zoo with my dear friend Sara, whom I've known now for (gosh!) 20 years!!! Talk about family. :)



Sara. I wish we could have spent more time together. I guess you'll just have to come to Alaska this summer. :)



O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree... O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree. :)



(Not the cardboard box with ribbon on it - that's about my extent of wrapping. Just so you know, it was a pretty sweet gift, that one. It was for my brother, and probably the best gift I gave this year, other than the enormously expensive plane ticket just to get there...)

This is my mom's dog Jasper. She's cute.



My brother was able to come for the holiday, as well, which was awesome! As you can see, we look absolutely nothing alike.



After some travel madness, I spent an entire week in Anchorage. During this time I slept, read, met some cool new people, hung out at my new favorite cafe, and just walked around downtown. This picture of my coffee the first day I was there pretty much captures my anonymous, relaxing week in town (even though I am now totally broke). :)



I hope everyone had a great holiday! Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

sissy said...

I still love the snowman coffee. I saw it first (before anyone, I think that makes me really cool.) I just ate some toast. It was amazing.

Anonymous said...

I hope you'all are enjoying your warm weather up there! Today we are colder than you'all, below 0! Amazing. I did not do any cross-country skiing to celebrate! But I did try to layer - and stay inside as much as possible. Love and prayers, Mom