a closer shot

Monday, December 10, 2007

A Season for Firsts

This weekend I decided to try a 3-day body cleanse fast, just because I've never done it before, wanted to try it to see. Not so bad. I started eating ice cream too soon after the fast, however, which is unfortunate. It's a sad, sad addiction that unfortunately I will never be over. Oh well. Anyway, it was quite an experience, the fast - very telling, really. The last supper was Thursday (including crackers and hummus, cheese and crackers, and carrot sticks and dip, and water). Only water on Friday (Day 1), and then orange juice and water on the last 2 days. I ended up eating a couple hours before the 5 o'clock 3-day mark, just because I could not concentrate on my work on Sunday while I was trying to plan for school. So I had rice and veggies, and I felt completely energized, unbelievably so. So now I am feeling how careful I have to be about what I eat and what it does to my body. The ice cream, however, that will just be something my body has to deal with.

Anyway, other grand events this weekend included the glorious tundra. It was nice out, so we 4-wheelered it out of town for a little walk in the hills.



I must have had my camera on some sort of bizarre setting, because the background looks like a sort of realistic wall paper that we were just posing in front of for a photo shoot. But really, that background is for real.



You may also notice that we are dressed somewhat like a winter in the lower 48. That's how nice it was. :) Without the wind, it's pretty great weather here.



And yes, by the time we were out there, around 4ish, it was dusk. The sun is rising around 11:00am and is setting somewhere around 4:00. However, the sunrises and sunsets are quite long, so although it seems to most of the world to be a very short day (which, I guess it is), it isn't that bad, really. There is still sunlight, if it isn't cloudy, and you can't beat an Alaskan sunrise. The best part - I'm actually awake for it, and I don't have to get up early to see it. :)



The coolest thing that I've done recently, among other firsts, is learn how to do the Eskimo Yo-Yo. So cool!!! Someday I'll have my own, and I can show you how neat it is.

Well frankly, it was a really lazy weekend. And I mean really lazy. It's been pointed out to me that I need a hobby. So I am now on a hunt for something to fill my time. These are the things I already do: violin (inconsistently), read, blog, I will be skiing starting in January, lesson planning, cook, and go to work. There hasn't been much to write about lately - I've been thinking of doing my own self-directed research paper to try to submit to a literary journal of some kind, just to start getting my name out there. But that would be WAY nerdy. Maybe I should start making myself enjoy scrapbooking. Or something. Any ideas would be much appreciated.



Another view of Unalakleet from up the hills - this is sunset-eque-ish time, in the spirit of suffixes (Janelle). :)

1 comment:

Furrla said...

So I read a good majority of your blog tonight. I am working at the front desk at the Y, and I have nothing better to do. Your life sounds interesting (I would say fun, but it sounds difficult at times too). I hear all you are saying about teaching. It's a crazy amount of work, and it seems like it never ends. I can't wait till I can teach a class that I've already taught once. By the end of this year I will have taught 5 different social studies classes in 1.5 years! Well I hope things are going well. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!