a closer shot

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Daily Adventures

It's too bad I can't take pictures of the wind - it's really something to see. I'll try to get a video sometime of the daily (or not so daily...) adventure we take down to the post office. Oh, the things we do for mail, and to get outside for a walk. It's all worth it. It's becoming a daily routine now: before I leave the house in the morning for my 5 minute walking commute to school, I put on the whole winter gear. First, the poofy snow pants over my regular pants (under which are some long johns). Then, the scarf (currently I am using my own homemade one - it may change next week, as I have about 7 scarves) wrapped twice around my face. Over top of my regular clothes goes my big blue Canada Goose "parka" (not a real Native parka, unfortunately). Zip that up, and then put on my amazing beaver hat, tied over my scarf to keep both hat and scarf in place. Next come the snow boots, snow pants zipped down over them. Then I put on my hood over my hat and string it up so it doesn't blow off my head. Gloves last, tucked under my coat sleeves for optimum warmth. Then I walk to school, or rather, skate slash get blown to school, and take it all off again. It sounds worse than it is. It's really not that bad at all - I don't mind it so much. :)



Not a whole lot to say about how things are. They are how they are, which is just grand, as always. I enjoy the company of good people. I get as much work done as I possibly can pull myself to do. We are watching the movie "A Raisin in the Sun" in class. It's an old movie - they really need to re-make it, especially with all the other re-makes they are doing. Ach so. Mostly I have been feeling like I am constantly rebuilding the wheel. There has got to be more out there for me. But I've also had a lot of energy during the day lately, which is great.



Walking to and from school is more of a chore these days with the wind and the cold being as it is. I guess I should let the secret out. I'm going to be a grandma. That's right, my dog is pregnant - really pregnant. Poor girl is about to pop. I thought that she was due during Christmas break, while I'll be gone, during which time she'll be living outside in a dog house. Currently I am chaining her outside so she can get used to the life of a chain dog in the cold. Loose dogs don't work any more - $20 fine if they catch her, or they could just shoot her. With people starting their dog sled training around the village, nobody wants a crazy little black dog chasing the team. So anyway, she's getting chain trained. Need to get her doghouse ready, and need to make her a bed in case she decides to give birth before she's an outside dog, which is very, very possible.



She is a cuddle bug, and we are very happy together. I think I'll keep her. :) I should warn you ahead of time, however, just so all of you non-villagers are prepared. I do plan on getting rid of the puppies, unless someone here really wants a small dog (which I doubt). By "get rid of," I do mean "dispose of." Now, just hang on, animal rights activists of the world. I am on your side. One, I don't necessarily have the extra money to mail puppies off to the pound in Anchorage. Two, the odds of one of those puppies getting adopted are fairly slim, and frankly, I'd rather not commit a dog to a life in a cage. And three, I don't have the time or energy to properly care for puppies. Don't worry, the proper way to do the whole thing is to get rid of all but one puppy immediately (so I don't break the momma dog, i.e. Starr, in this case), and after about 8 weeks when the puppy is ready to be weaned, I will get rid of that one, village style, unless someone wants to adopt it. I understand your reservations, and your anger, and your shock, but really, it's all for the best. There are TONS of dogs in this village - we don't need any more. This way really is humane. I promise.

More to come.

4 comments:

Sara Britt said...

seems like you take more time putting on and taking off your snow gear than youre actually outside =)
and i cant even comment on the puppies, i dont even know what 'humane' thing youre going to do, i just cant bare it...(just get your dog fixed so there wont be a next time!)
but christmas will be fun! i cant wait till youre home...

AliveNsurvivn said...

Are you gonna eat the puppies? I mean, you eat seal and the meat won't go to waste. In fact, that's a real hot dog. hahahahaha K, done with being morbid. (this seriously is funny to me which means I just need to go to bed. hehe). K, seriously, I'm done. :) Continue trumping that snow. It's gonna be pretty cool when you start telling your grandkids about your alaskin adventures. Have you seen the aurora borialis yet?

Karrie said...

Hey, Karis!

Thanks so much for your email! I'll be emailing you with a ton of questions about everything I can think of. I just wanted to leave you a comment, because I know how much you enjoy them!

Karrie said...

And another one...

I changed my email address. It's now upabove@live.com

I'll be emailing you soon!