a closer shot

Sunday, August 31, 2008

First Two Weeks!

School is in full swing now. And so far it's been great. Probably the best part about this year is that it's not my FIRST year anymore. It's so nice to be returning, to have experience, to have a clue! :) It's pretty awesome to be able to see my own growth.

So Unalakleet is good. I'm enjoying myself. The first week of school, for the high school, was planning our annual Leadership Retreat. We had a bit of a curveball thrown our way - Bible Camp was not available for our use, so we had to make some adjustments. It turned out pretty cool, though, and I think we all had a good time. :)



The kids were great - they all worked together, and we saw some awesome examples of leadership. They're fun, these kids. It's nice to be able to do something outside of the classroom with them, so we really get to know them better.



One of the activities this year was a survival challenge. Each group had to make a shelter (this is the senior class shelter, one of two) - this one I actually laid in. I would totally bring up my gear and go camping in this spot! :)



The other part of survival was building a raft. It was live wood, so it didn't float very well, but the seniors made it work, and we won the challenge! It was pretty hilarious to see one of my kids floating down the river on a homemade raft.

Speaking of floating down the river... One of the new people in the village is Susette, who works at the District Office. She's pretty much awesome, and has already told Adrianna and I that she's adopting us, which is totally fine by us. Not only is she super fun to hang out with, but she has a kayak and a raft. Last Saturday was an awesome day outside. So the three of us took a float trip down the slough and into the ocean.



This is Adrianna and I being Lewis & Clarky, rowing towards a sandbar... We pretty much rocked the rowing thing...



We also rocked the laying-back-and-doing-nothing-but-float thing. I'm pretty sure the best part was when her dog Ojo jumped into the water to experience her first (and second) swim!! We're not really sure what she was thinking...



This is Susette and A hanging out on the sandbar in the middle of the ocean (at low tide). It was a pretty cool view. We've already decided that we need to row down farther sometime and make dinner over the fire, and maybe even go camping. Sounds good to me!!



This week has been really good in the classroom. I'm feeling much more confident, although I hope I can maintain what I've got! I won't have a summer before every week to plan. ;) Anyway, I just got my new computer, and it comes with a camera, which is pretty cool. So this is me at Carrie's place with her cat. While she travels around for her sweet new job, I hang out at her place (where no one can find me), feed her dogs and cat, water her plants, and sometimes get a few things done (mostly reading and petting the cat).

One of the coolest things about this computer camera is the effects it can do. So this is a picture of me taken with my computer.



Anyway, things are going well. I'm taking a couple classes this semester, too, so that's keeping me busy. I think it's good, though - it will help keep me focused. And the new place? It rocks. Here's a view out my window.



Can't beat the Alaskan sky. :) Take care of yous. Cheers for now!

1 comment:

Adrianna said...

Get out of the boat Clark...
Clark, I would follow you anywhere! Name the expedition and I'm there. On a more serious note...you rock K, and I love your blog posts.
-A