a closer shot

Monday, July 21, 2008

Home Sweet Village

To tell you the truth, the weather has been aweful until today. But it's been nice to have some solitary time for a couple of days, in my house, not doing anything, in my own space, alone. It's much needed, methinks.

Anyway, I mentioned in the last post (which got a whopping ZERO comments, thank you very much) that I had sewn my own bag, reversible, which I love. Well, here is a photo. Sweet, huh? I pretty much love it.


Two reversible handbags made with the help of Sarah (Christine's little sister). Thanks, Sarah!

Getting back to Unalakleet proved quite challenging. When I checked online for my flight times, it said on the timetable that it left at 1:30pm. I got to the airport around noon, but my flight had already left... Ugh. But, they weren't going to put my bike on the plane anyway because it wasn't in a box. I was very anxious to get home, so I went to Frontier to see if I could catch their next flight. Fortunately, there was room. Unfortunately, it cost me a little more than I was hoping to spend this week. But they did put my bike on the plane, which I was grateful for. However, putting the passengers on the plane took ages.

Long story short, we didn't leave Anchorage until 5:20pm or so. I had to fly to St. Michael first, and then wait for a charter over to Unalakleet, which was really only a 30 minute flight. Redemption came in a little 702.


My sweet ride from St. Mike's to UNK

I guess you can't really say you've lived in the bush until you ride next to the pilot in one of these. :) It was the sweetest plane ride ever! The view was so cool, because you don't fly as high in these guys, of course. Oh, but on the way, we were flying right on the coast the whole way, and as I looked at the window, face up against the glass, I noticed some people in a raft waving an orange flag. I told the pilot, and to my surprise, without even flinching or questioning, he turned the plane around and flew back. We spotted them again and the pilot called someone to come and get them while circling over them for a few minutes, signaling that we had seen them. Whew.

I didn't get back to the village until around 8 or 8:30. It was still perfectly daylight, though. And that was one of the nicer days. Apparently it was one of the few nice days they've seen all summer, like, one of three or something. I went directly to see my dog at April's house. Well, dogs. Star's puppy is SO bloody cute!!


Nemo at 9 weeks old - doesn't she look exactly like Star?? Only shorter hair? Fortunately she didn't inherit her father's looks... Anyway, I feel like she looks like the poster-puppy, just like in a magazine, this is what a puppy should look like. I could be bias.

The girls called her Nemo because she was the only one Star had. So I guess that's her name. She responds to it. For now, she's still mine. There is a possibility, but I'm feeling very responsible for her. I try to take Star out on walks to let her run, to come with me whenever I can let her, so I like my dog to get lots of exercise. And I try to give her lots of attention. I've also recently begun considering seriously what I'm feeding her. Dog food is very questionable.

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/best-dog-food.html

I don't necessarily buy into everything I hear or read, but the truth is, dog food goes under similar, if not grosser processing than much of the human food we eat. I want to eat well; I should also provide good food for my dog. I don't think I'll have the time to cook for her... haha... but there are certainly other options.

Anyway, today was lovely. I went for a walk on the beach and a bike ride up to first hill. Nemo is very cute, and thus all of the kids in the village want to play in my front yard. The trip up to first hill was both for exercise and sanity. I needed some outside quiet time, without having to worry about other people handling my puppy. Maybe I am getting attached to her.

Hope all is going well with you all. Miss you already!

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Glad you made it back safely. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up in NYC - but I'm teaching summer school until august 12. I love the 7th grade, I really do.

I don't know if it's available where you are, but we feed Finney Canadie All Life Stages - It's a 5 star food rated by dogfoodanalysis.com and at least down in the continentals, it's not horribly expensive.

Nina Koett said...

Poster Puppy is adorable! Jasper gets Nutro Natural Choice - I really noticed a difference in her coat once she had been on it.

Talk to you this weekend,

Love and prayers, Mom

Unknown said...

pretty much the only puppy food you can get in the village is purina puppy chow. Ojo is fine with it. Other than that, it looks like you've had a rather eventful summer. I kind of wish I was going back to Unk too :-( Have a great second year teaching!

Carrie said...

the bag is adorable- I'm so impressed! A new hobby?!?!? :) See you around the 10th of August. . .

Unknown said...

It's good to see you made it back to your home space safely. I can't imagine having such a fun summer traveling all around and visiting with friends, seeing sites, but it has been fun to read about all your adventures. What great memories you must have accumulated.

Guess now you are focusing on the next school year. Doesn't seem like it's been that long since you completed your first year.

Take care. Layla just arrived, so got to go.

Love, Aunt Phyllis