a closer shot

Monday, August 10, 2009

I'm in a Yurt!

It finally happened: I moved into the Yurt. Yeah! My life in the round, as they say, has officially begun. My first evening there was spent unpacking and, oddly enough, decorating, making it look (and feel) more like my own home - pictures, maps, Tibetan prayer flags, etc. I won’t lie, it looks pretty great in there. There were dead flies everywhere when I first got in, and I have a feeling that until fall is over I will be sweeping them up regularly. Jenna left me lots of goodies, mostly appliances, and although not all of my things have made it here yet, I am settling in just as well as anyone would in a new place. The biggest challenge so far has not been using the honey bucket (which has a box over it with a seat, making me cross my fingers every time I go that the bucket is aimed appropriately underneath me). No, I am having more trouble finding a place for everything. I feel like my tubs will play an important role in this. I’ve also realized that I perhaps have more blankets than I need. I might not think so in January. But I do want to get a heated blanket for those chilly nights.



From this picture I can give you a little tour... To my left (your right) is my "bedroom." Directly behind me is my "bathroom," and next to that you can see my "kitchen." To my right is my pantry. And in front of me is my "office" and "living room." But considering the entire thing is just one big 20-foot room, I like to consider the whole thing my living room. I guess since Star is living with me I could call it a "family room." Ha. :)

We’ll see how I feel in a few months, but I think life is better this way. It’s less slothful, less lazy, less dull. There is always something to do, and it has to be done. It’s a matter of survival (almost – we’ll just pretend as though it is). It reminds me of camping. Be organized, be prepared, be aware, and be healthy. Okay, that last one was a stretch, and I’m not sure it’s actually quoted on the list of Expedition Behavior, but I think it fits. Take care of yourself, be safe, and that’s the best you can give to anyone else. In my case, it’s the best I can give to my dog and my yurt. I feel pretty good right now about how things are going. I am taking it slow, learning things every day. Alright, it’s only been two days, but I’ve already hauled water and learned that it will take more than one trip to get enough water for a week, to fill up that big bin of Jenna’s (now mine). I made bread in the little toaster oven last night, and it turned out pretty well. I’ve certainly used the honey bucket a few times. Pretty soon I’ll master the propane stove – I have to use it first. I’m getting to know my space. And I have a few more boxes yet to come in, so we’ll see how it all goes down. I’m sure I’ll have some bad days, some sad days, some days when I wonder what the heck I was thinking, but this is my choice. And it was a good one. I really am in my own little space, the rural part of rural Koyuk, Alaska.

Anyway, I will be spending this week settling in, fishing, hiking out, picking berries, and of course, beginning the process of setting up my classroom. Next week work starts, and the week following kids will come. Oh my goodness!! Hopefully my brain will wake up from summer slumber by then.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Karis, Yay for Yurts! I'm excited about how excited you are to live in it! I hope you have a fabulous school year!