a closer shot

Monday, June 16, 2008

Moving Along (NZ Part 4)

Welp, I'm sitting here in a hostel in Nelson. My South Island trip has officially started. But let me do a little update from my last few days in Palmy. (Don't worry, I'm going back there.) On Friday (I think - it must have been Friday), Bec and I went on the gorge walk. It reckons that the walk takes about 4 hours each way - so you start at one end, go to the other, and then walk back. Some people just get picked up at the other end, but we wanted to do the whole thing. That's 8 hours, right? Nah, we hoofed it in 6 hours. :) We were pretty wicked sore afterwards, of course. It was beautiful walking, really shady, and really hilly. Up and down, up and down. It basically was a big hill up, little hill down, little hill up, big hill down - one way - then back again. We do these things (3 hours riding on the beach, 4.5 hours biking, 6 hours hiking, etc.), and then we go home and watch TV, shows like "The Biggest Loser," and then we decided that we do these things so we don't ever have to be on "The Biggest Loser." Mostly, it's enjoyable.


The view from one of the lookouts at the top of the hill on the gorge walk - so beautiful! It was quite windy up there outside of the forest. But it was just gorgeous.


Bec takes a break after walking up the giant hill on our way back. We were in our 4th or 5th hour of hiking at this point, including a 20-minute lunch break, so our legs were feeling a little rubbery...


Enjoying the walk - the foliage is so green and lovely - perfect! This is winter?!?!?

Saturday was the steeplechase race, and we definitely wanted to go see that. We had decided earlier on to bike to it, but we were both so tired from the previous day's hike. Reluctantly at first, we hopped onto our bikes and began the 45-minute ride to the track. We were both pleasantly surprised at how easy it seemed to go up and down the hills and move so quickly, even in the wind. It was probably my fastest biking to town. We took the BMX detour, of course, for some first grade mountain biking. Then we made our way to the track to meet Ants and her friend for some steeplchase fun!



We were lucky - we were able to walk right in and watch for free, and then we got to stand right next to one of the jumps. If you don't know what steeplechase is, basically it's like a regular horse race, only the horses also jump over brush - in this case they had 19 jumps - as fast as they can. It's very fast, and very dangerous. I would guess there is at least one fall at every race. I would definitely love to try it some day. Maybe not race, but at least run the course. :) (If you've ever seen the movie "National Velvet," the race in that movie is steeplechase.)



It was fast, of course, but really cool to watch. There was one fall, which was interesting. When they were showing the horses at the beginning, Ants called the guy who would fall off, and I called the winner. We were both right. It was one of the last jumps, and the horse skimmed the brush and flipped over. Fortunately he was near the end of the group, so no one was trampled. I wasn't sure the horse was going to get up at first, but he did eventually, complete with bloody flanks and a bloody nose. I'm sure he was lame the next day. The jockey was okay, but injured. Of course we flocked over to take a look. :) Races are fun to go to, because the horses that lose races usually go for really cheap. There are tons of thoroughbreds in NZ, all bred for racing, but if they don't do well they are sold for cheap ($500) or put on the dog truck. Steeplechase horses are especially cool, I think, because they could probably make good eventers.

Anyway, enough about horses. Sorry - once I get going! Sunday was supposed to be a foursome trip to Wellington, but the girl who was going to drive backed out. It ended up just being Bec and I, which was okay, just more expensive. Anyway, we drove down together on Sunday afternoon for our own little road trip! We stopped at an ice cream place along the way, which is never a bad idea. You choose your ice cream, choose up to three fruits and they mix it all up into a soft serve and give you this sweet as ice cream cone. They were huge!



We had a great time at the hostel, watching movies and attempting to make our own dinner in the kitchen. It was a cheap meal that we fenagled from the supermarket, but the oven didn't work... Ah well. Anyway, the next morning I got on the ferry to the South Island. Let me tell you, big boats are not all they're cracked up to be. I was not comfortable. It was pretty, and it was alright, and I'm doing it again because I have to get back, and it's the cheapest way, but I tried to sleep as much as possible.



What I saw, though, was heavenly. I just wish we could have stayed still a little longer...

I pulled into Picton and made my way to the Magic Bus, my ride for the next 10 days. The driver is pretty cool. We came to Nelson and I checked into the hosel. A couple guys in my room and I decided to walk up to the geographical center of New Zealand. Pretty cool view, though the hike was crazy uphill. But we made it. My calves were a little sore from the gorge walk still, but we're all good.







So beautiful from on top of the hill! Imagine this as your backyard view. :) Anyway, we went to the supermarket, so now I'm fed for the next few days, including my new favorite candy: Pineapple Lumps.

My online time is running out - I only bought 1 hour for this evening. But I wanted to update now before things get really fast. I will be in Nelson this evening, then driving to Greymouth tomorrow. One night there, then Franz Josef the next day, hopefully for some glacier kayaking. More fun to come!! Peace to you all - take care!

2 comments:

Nina Koett said...

I love your blog! And it's not just because I'm your Mom - it's so much fun to read about your adventures! Wow, you must be all muscle to be able to do all of that walking and biking. Have fun and be careful and keep those pictures and dialogue coming! Love and prayers, Mom

Adrianna said...

So cool! I'm really glad you got to see your steeplechase race! New Zealand looks absolutely beautiful. I'm glad you are having a great time.
-A