a closer shot

Monday, February 4, 2008

I Speak Truth

It appears as though I have fallen into the black hole of not updating my blog...

Truthfully, there has been very little to talk about going on here. There have been the occassional conversations of meaning, get togethers with people of note, small moments of significance, and growth in life's own right. But those things are not for the blog. Mostly, I have just been at work and basketball games. My other activities have included:

skiing
beginning my afghan
baking bread
cooking rice
eating Triscuits
feeding my dog
fundraising for the senior class
attending high school basketball games every weekend
occasionally hanging out with good people, sometimes working, sometimes playing, sometimes cutting hair...
and
WORK

I will now share with you random things that I have experienced in the previous 3 weeks.

1. Skiing a lot. This is my dog with me on the trail behind the wind fences across the slough where I do most of my skiing. Yay, I am getting better. :)



2. I got my packages in the mail, including my groceries and my books and my hobby, as it were (crochet things). I baked my first loaf of bread ever, and I put all my books on my bookshelf. It makes me smile!!



3. We had a warm spell - it actually climbed up to 35 above zero! Thank you, global warming. The slough overflowed, and skiing went on hold for a little while... This is the slough from the bridge, where it should have been frozen over, and is instead flowing. I could not cross it on skis.



4. While cutting my bread for breakfast one morning, I accidentally sliced off a piece of my finger. It was a very small piece of my left foredigit, but I still decided that I am no longer allowed the use of sharp knives in the morning. Sharp knives or gas stoves or telephones or heavy pieces of equipment, including motor vehicles, lawn mowers, and tractors. Also, I should not count money, grade papers, or be expected to speak in fluent English until at least 1 hour after being awake. Even then, it's questionable.


Okay, so you can't really see it, but I really did cut it, and it really did hurt. But it's fine now. :)

5. One of my students found this magazine and showed it to me. A kid had written my last name on Vladamir's forehead, and along with outlining his major facial features and adding on a goat-tee, they drew on a nice little eyebrow bar, which I thought was pretty hilarious. The student who showed it to me decided that he didn't like my name there, so he crossed it out incessantly. It was a sweet gesture.

(I have no idea what that circle above his left eye is supposed to be.)


6. This is me in my place of work, and I am happy to be here!! (Positive thoughts.) :) Also, note the striking resemblance between Vladimir and I...



7. Deceitful little blister - well, you see, I have a blister on each of my heels from my new ski boots. The one on my left was more tender, so I put a band-aid on that one before I left to ski on Friday. The one on my right foot, however, was not bothering me, so I left it alone. As I skied along, I noticed that it was painfully rubbing on the back of my boot. But I kept on going (because I am tough), even though I was pretty sure it was bleeding. Oh well. When I got home the entire heel of my sock was red. I thought to myself, "Weird, I don't remember these blue wool socks having red heels..." Of course they didn't have red heels. My blister had just bled that much. I took of my sock to find this new and fresh owie.



8. Happy Birthday, JANELLE!!!! February 2nd, as well as being Groundhog's Day, was the glorious anniversary of Janelle Snyder's birth. We had a grand time, eating sushi and playing Cranium, celebrating our dear friend. :)

Dear Friend Janelle


Yummy Sushi


Attempt a straight face. I dare you.


Dan and Daniel


Daniel with Dr. E in a headlock - sweet


Mom and Dad playing Wii


Jake is a Wii champion...


Adrianna: Photographer


9. The Aurora Borealis!! On Saturday evening, while watching "The Freedom Writers" (amazing movie, by the way), Damon and Heidi came up and grabbed us so that we could go see the green rolling Northern Lights. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of it to show you, but this was my first experience seeing them, and I don't think that the excitement and wonder will ever go away. :) The joys of living in Alaska never end!

3 comments:

Adrianna said...

Karis, I love reading your blog. Your are great at turning ordinary events into interesting and cool posts. Keep 'em comming. P.S. Thanks for coming to comunity night tonight. I appreciate the support!

Heart -A

Miriam said...

Karis!! (It's Miriam)

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

I understand about the red sock--I've done that several times. Come back from a run and see a nice little red spot in my shoes.

Stay warm up there--and have fun skiing!!

Melissa said...

Great Blog - I am a huge fan you know....miss you a lot!