a closer shot

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Winter Break: Chapters 2 and 3

CHAPTER 2: Naptown - A Visit to the Midwest
Indianapolis - Wednesday 12/26 to Friday 12/28

The next day, Wednesday, after sleeping for about 11 or 12 hours, I went grocery shopping. I bought lots and lots of food to ship up (cheaper than buying the same stuff here, and I have more options, such as organic). I also bought food to make dinner that evening. Perry and Melissa (Church 52 pastors, known them since I was small, went to their church this summer) came over for dinner, along with Sara Britt, my longest friend in the world. I made a deluctable dinner; no, you cannot have the recipe. :) But it was very tasty, at least I thought. We also exchanged gift items, and I showed them my beaver hat (which they also laughed at) and my super cool Eskimo yo-yo, which none of them could do, except for Sara there at the end. I am on duty to find her a pair so she can master this skill like me.


Left to Right: Sara, Melissa, Perry, and Mom (Nina)



I spent the night at Sara's house on Wednesday night, where we stayed up until we didn't even want to look at the clock, just talking. I got a text message at one point that said, "hey breanna" - just like that. So we thought it would be funny to carry on a conversation with whatever middle school world we had just been invited into. I'm pretty sure we were messing with some bizarre delicate balance. Finally we went to sleep... the next day I got another text message that said, "call me" - just like that, only 3 times the text message came. So I said something like, "This is not breanna, you have the wrong number, my friend and I were just messing around last night. Please stop texting me." The response made me laugh, mostly because, why would she respond to me?? She texted back and said, "Fine." And then she texted AGAIN and said, "Actually, my name is breanna. I thought you were my ex-boyfriend nate." I'm like, really, I don't care. It was funny at the time, though.

Thursday my cousin Kevin wanted to hang out, so he came and got me from Sara's, and the three of us went to Hobby Lobby. On my quest for a hobby I have been asking everyone else what their hobby is. When I asked Sara, she realized that she also didn't have a hobby, so she joined me on this quest. I believe my brother is also now on a similar quest due to my questioning. Anyway, Kevin got dragged in, even though he has a few hobbies, which include working on cars, working on his motorcycle, watching movies, and coloring those felt pictures. (When I related this, along with my other research, to a friend, she said this: "Wow, now he is ecclectic.") At Hobby Lobby I bought 10 skeins of yarn (I hope that's enough...) and a crochet book, which now I don't know that I'll use, with the intent of crocheting an afghan, which I can't start until my yarn gets here, which is in the mail right now, along with my food and other things from home. I hope it gets here... We ate at Steak 'n' Shake for lunch. It was very good; they have the best burgers (steakburgers, that is) and fries and shakes anywhere ever, although Dog 'n' Suds put up a pretty good match. But they didn't last. Steak 'n' Shake, however, will never die.

Sara departed from us, and Kevin and I drove back to the house of my aunt, uncle, and father. I hung out with my Dad for a while doing the crossword, watching the news, chatting about nothing in particular, eating thin mints (a favorite that the two of us share). Then I took his car and met up with Kelli and Shane. But I didn't get a picture of Shane, just of Kelli and her dog Buttermilk.



We ate at Denny's, because they have the best breakfast food (except for Bob Evans), and then we went to see Beowulf at the Imax theatre downtown. THAT was freakin' cool. It was digital animation, but it was 3-D and very realistic. It put a different kind of twist on the story that I really didn't expect, but it was very good, I thought. I enjoyed it, anyway. In fact, we all did. We went back to their house, and then Kelli and I talked until 4:30 in the morning. When I got home, my mom was already awake for the day. I just went to bed for a few hours.

The Britt family has been a part of my life for pretty much as long as I can remember. Sara and I grew up together, and her parents, Mike and Pam, have been my 2nd parents. They came over for an early dinner on Friday, but I forgot to take pictures. But my mom made roast and potatos and carrots in the crock-pot, which is one of my favorite meals. We ate and enjoyed thoroughly. Towards the end of the visit, my friend Kristin, with whom I graduated college (she was one of my first friends at Houghton, and consequently one of my longest college friends) arrived at my mom's house from Louisville. That's right. She drove all the way up to Indy just to see me. :) So we left, and we went to the mall where I tried to find a black dress for the wedding reception I was to be a part of (as in a bridesmaid) the next day in Lafayette. But I digress. I didn't find a dress on Friday, but we did have a great great time catching up, chatting, sharing stories, sharing memories, and just being ourselves together again. It was too bad she could only stay for the evening! But I am so glad she was able to come up. I also got to catch up with another friend from Indy, Kelsey, with whom I also grew up. Long time friends are always good to see. :)


Trying on dresses and celebrating our failure with wings, time with Kristin is never ever ever wasted. :)

Later on that evening I went out again with Kelli, Shane, and my mom and we saw the movie "I Am Legend" with Wil Smith. It was good. I recommend it. :)

CHAPTER 3: Wedding Dresses and Funny Faces
Lafayette - Saturday 12/29

Like I mentioned earlier, I failed to buy a dress on Friday evening, which meant one aweful thing: I HAD to buy a black dress for Erin and JP's wedding celebration on Saturday morning before arriving at the banquet hall by 12noon that very same day. What was I to do? I got up early, ate a lovely breakfast made by mother dear, headed first to the post office to mail off my million pounds of boxes to Unalakleet, and scurried to the mall. I wandered for a bit, since I was a little early for most stores, and ended up in Von Maur (the most expensive, but most service oriented of the department stores in Castleton Square Mall). I started looking at black gowns, and then a nice woman came over and asked me if I needed any help. I spilled all in total desperation, "I need a long black dress, and I only have one hour!!" She said with a surprised and somewhat what-were-you-thinking tone, "Just an hour?" And I, half laughing, half totally stressed out, "Yes! I'm so sorry!" But she was very good, and calmed me. "It's okay, alright, what size are you, let's start looking at what we have." And so she brought me dresses, and I tried them on, and I finally picked on that was cheapER than the other ones, though not exactly what I wanted. Anyway, I got it all figured out, somehow, and was soon on my way up to Lafayette, just one hour's drive.

It was fantastic to see Erin, good friend who worked with me at Camp Tecumseh for two years, and her husband JP, who just returned recently from Iraq. They were their usual selves - fantabulous and so much fun!!



Erin, by the way, looked unbelievable in her dress. If I was a dress wearer, I'd want it to look like that.



One of the other bridesmaids was another good friend with whom I worked together at camp. Patricia is probably the craziest one of all - and pretty much a blast. So it was great to see her again, too. :) We had a good time, especially since between the two of us, we only knew Erin and JP, and Erin's family. It was pretty sweet.



Patricia needed to have her debut as princess, as well.



And no picture of anyone is complete without Erin poking her finger up someone's nose. And so while Patricia looks completely normal and beautiful, Karis looks like a moron with a mysterious finger in her face (booger free, thank goodness).



This is probably my favorite picture. Erin needed her train put back up so she could walk, and her sister Rachel was trying to figure out how to tie it up. While searching for the way to do this, she was at one point completely underneat Erin's skirt. It was pretty hilarous. So I got a snapshot of her peaking out. :)

It was a fantastic reception with really yummy hors devoirs (sp??). And we took lots and lots of pictures of the wedding party (that included me!) and we ate and were merry. And then I left a little early because I was to leave the next morning.

That evening I had dinner with both my parents at Max & Erma's. I think I got a yummy veggie sandwich - mmm - and fries. And then I went over to Kelli and Shane's. Shane was doing something. Kelli and I talked more (because we always talk a lot about everything), we did a couple crossword puzzles together, and then we took pictures with her fancy camera. I'll see those someday. :) And then we had to say goodbye, and it was very very sad. I don't want to talk about it.

This brings me to the end of Chapter 3.

No comments: